It is that time of year again, where we make our children dress up and act like they are not heathens for an hour so we can capture the perfect family portrait for the Christmas card! Seriously I love my children and they are not heathens, well not all of time anyway. As a mom I want to have nice pictures of my family to hang in my home and give to my family for gifts. Ask any grandma what they want for Christmas and they will say pictures of the kids.
The number one question I get asked all of the time is what to wear. I have five tips to the perfect family portrait.
- Coordinate your colors not identical shirts but pick a nice color palette and draw from that. Mix prints and solids and voila you are gorgeous!!!! Some fun suggestions are navy/grey/beige/cream or jade/mustard/mauve/navy or more of a pumpkin coral/navy/jade. There are so many color combination options that do not involve all white or all black.
- Accessories Accessories Accessories oh wait did I say accessories? Seriously accessories can just bring your outfit to a 10 when you are sitting there teetering at a 9.5. Let’s accessorize you guys, jewelry, scarves, hats, flower crowns, the family pooch any of them would be amazing.
- PLANNING is key, yes I was raising my voice just then. When you book your session with your loving and awesome family photographer start planning your wardrobe then. Do not wait until the last minute. If you wait until the last minute you will be so stressed out because you will literally be driving all over town trying to track down the top you saw but didn’t buy because you wanted to “keep looking”. Buy the top you can always return it if you find something better.
- Layers are your friend my dear. This kind of goes along with accessorize but use scarves vests for the kiddos or shirts you can tie around the waste. Any of these layers can be removed and then you have a totally different look.
- Consider your surroundings and what outfits you think would mesh well with them. If you will be in the city you might want a bit more of an urban edge to your clothing. If you will be in nature you might more of a relaxed and casual look.
Whatever you decide just know that your photographer appreciates your efforts and spending a little time coordinating your outfits. When you take the time to do this your family portraits are sure to turn out fabulous!! If you are need of a little inspiration you can always check out my pinterest board on what to wear to your family session. See some of my past clients and there awesome style!!
If you are looking for a family portrait photographer to capture your perfect family portrait’s contact me today. I would love to chat with you and plan your family portrait session with Rebecca Williams Photography.