It’s that time of year folks! The leaves are changing the air is cool and crisp FALL is here! It’s time to put your kids in their best fall outfit and head out to the pumpkin patch for the obligatory yearly pumpkin patch photo. Does this totally stress you out? Well trust me you are not alone, I cringe when I head down main street and see the bright orange balls in the distance because I know it is time. It’s ok I am here to help! I have come up with five tips to fabulous pumpkin patch photos.
- For the best results you want to either go early in the morning at sunrise or about and hour after. If you want to go later in the evening about an hour before sunset. These are the best times for optimal lighting. If you cannot go at either of these times don’t worry it will all be ok just look for some good shade with the sun at the back of whoever you are photographing. When the sun is directly overhead you can get very harsh shadows.
- GO NOW!!!! Don’t wait until the last minute. Our local pumpkin patch just opened this past weekend and we went on Saturday evening. You want the pumpkin patch to still have pumpkins right!! Also the longer you want the more crowded it will be.
- Don’t be afraid to move the pumpkins where you want to take your photo. Most of the patches are fundraising efforts by local churches and organizations and they are all so friendly. Trust me they don’t mind you using the pumpkins and moving then just be courteous and put them back where you got them from.
- Get down on your kids level. Yep I am that woman sitting on the ground or laying on the ground at the pumpkin patch. It is helpful to be on there level so you are getting that good eye level contact. Not every photo but at least a few.
- And finally let your kids run around and have fun. Have them try to pick up the biggest pumpkin or find the oddest shaped pumpkin. Make it fun for them and they will give you great smiles and you will get genuine photos of your children smiling and having a good time.
Now go forth and take those awesome photos. These are my photos from this year and a few from a few years back. Enjoy!!
I hope you all enjoyed this post and go out and take some awesome pumpkin patch photos this year!! If you are looking to update your family and children’s portraits contact me to book your session.